Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Don't Transcend, Create

Often, people are afraid to enjoy the present moment because they're afraid of the future.

They think it would be irresponsible to be fully in the moment despite the many responsibilities and obligations that are sitting at their plate.

They are afraid to savor the moment because they are afraid of what the future will bring.

The Kabbalah teaches that G-d transcends time the Hebrew word for the name of G-d includes three words past present and future all those combined into one that's because the understanding is that G-d transcends time. Yet in order to create the world G-d creates a limited expression of himself one that is invested with in time and space and within nature that name is called Elohim. which means that G-d operates on two levels: the transcendence G-d and then G-d's ability to create which necessitates limiting himself, and investing himself within the confines of time and space.

In some ways, the human being too transcends time. Although there is but one moment in the present, I have a choice, where to place myself in time. I can live in this moment or I can think about past traumas, be affected by past events, or, I could be distracted by the future. In some ways then, I do transcend time. I could be in this moment, I could be in the past, I could be in the future.

I must learn from G-d, I must learn to invest myself in the limited moments. I must learn to exist within this finite moment. I must treat the present moment as if no other moments exist. I must use the power of Elokim, of investment within time and space, to create the moment. I must understand that you create my world, to create the create my life, I must master the ability escape the transcendent self and invest in the limited self capable of investments the moment.

Because a meaningful life is nothing but the culmination of many meaningful moments.

No comments: