Sunday, June 7, 2015

Seven Types of Motivation

Whenever we do anything there is always a motivation. I did it because of [this]. There are also 7 primary motives. Meaning why do I do what I do? What motivates me to remain committed to my marriage? What motivates me to keep my values? What motivates me to be moral? And why am I committed to being Jewish?

One reason can be because I enjoy it and therefore I love it. I'm committed to my spouse because I enjoy being with her. This can also be our motivation to being Jewish: I love being close to G-d.

A second reason can be that I miss it and therefore I love it. As the saying goes "distance makes the heart grow fonder". I feel so distant and I yearn to be close. This is a passionate love. A fiery love. I feel so far from G-d and I'm burning with passion to be closer.

A third reason: I do it not for me but for my spouse. I do it not for me but for G-d. Doing it altruistically.

A fourth reason: Because I'm determined to win. I will prove to myself and the world that I can do it. I will show the world that I can be Jewish under all circumstances.

A fifth reason: I'm obedient. A marriage is forever and I have got to surrender myself to make it happen. And I surrender to G-d.

A sixth reason; [This one is missing from the original text so I can only give it a shot] I'm connected to my family so I do what I have to do. I'm connected to G-d so I act Jewish.

A seventh reason: It is my responsibility. I'm the leader so I must do my part and I also recognize as a leader I'm really their servant. I'm confident yet understand that I'm a nobody without you.

Aaron the High Priest would kindle the Menorah in the Holy Temple in Jerusalem. The Menorah had 7 branches representing 7 different types of Jews. And Aaron's job would be to light up each type of Jew. So what type of Jew are you? What is your primary motivator?

No comments: